Monday, July 14, 2008

1st Haircut



After a few weeks of subtle coersion, I finally felt comfortable taking Olivia for her 1st official haircut. She has been having a lot of snarls lately and I used this as an opportunity to outline the benefits of a hair trimming. She slowly came around and has said she would be open to having a trim the past few times I have brought up the subject.


Now, it's really my own fault that I have had such a hard time convincing her a haircut is OK. Everytime I comb through her tangles and she pitches a fit; I tell her we can go and get all her hair cut off to look like Daddy's if she can't take having her beautiful princess hair combed...I know, I know...shame on Mommy. Not one of my finer moments, admittedly.


We arrive at CoolCuts 4 Kids to face a 40 minute wait. There was only one woman manning the shop and at least 4 children were ahead of us in line. Luckily, they are prepared for this and have plenty to keep the kiddos busy. Thomas the Train and his miles of tracks were center stage in the play/waiting area. A TV playing a barnyard cartoon played in the background and the walls were adorned with gear puzzles and cute drawings. The seating was comfortable and they were a few magazines for the adults as well as a few books for the kids.


Let's not overlook the toys available for purchase. They really have you cornered on this one. Sure, your child already has a thousand crayons at home, but they have Princess crayons. And yes, you already have plenty of Matchbox cars, but these are miniatures of the cars from Disney's "Cars" movie. What kind of a parent would force their child to have to gaze (at their eye level) longingly at such treasures and leave empty handed? (Insert a visual of me raising my hand and waving it vigorously.)


Finally, Olivia's name as called and we entered the previously forbidden domain of the hair cutting arena. Olivia chose a yellow taxi to sit in during her "beauty treatment." Mrs. Susan loaded Olivia's chosen DVD into the television and away we went. Snip snip....just an inch off the bottom to clean up the ends. The whole ordeal was over in a matter of 5 minutes. We paid for our souvenier "First Haircut" card and for the products recommended for her tangly hair.


















On the way to the car I asked her if she had fun and she said, "No, that lady pulled my hair too hard."
What a tough crowd!

1 comment:

Krista Sanders said...

Wow! Fancy! Loved your observations. I will be sure to steer clear!

Hicks Family

Hicks Family
Mutual respect and admiration are the results of godly character and sacrificial love in marriage.