Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Little Rusty

I decided to dust off my sewing skills and make a gift for my niece who just turned 4. Like my daughter, she has a love for all thinks bright pink. I had found some cute fleece on clearance and had never found a good use for it, so I thought it would be perfect.

Once I had the fleece out I quickly determined it was not going to be adequate for the project because it was quite thin. It would probably be fine for a Texas winter, but not for the sub-zero temps the Midwest can bring.

I went out to Hobby Lobby and found a cute pattern and a coordinating hot pink fleece. I hurried home to get started and things quickly went south. It has been at least 6 years since I have sewn anything to my best recollection. Sitting on a hard floor cutting out the pattern pieces with a dull pair of craft scissors soon dashed my excitement. I broke a rule my grandmother taught me and used hair cutting scissors on my fabric.

I will spare you the gory details, but instead focus on the positive and show you my before and after pics of the project. I ended up doubling the thickness of the zebra print fleece for the scarf since it was so thin. I got to practice my blanket stitch when applying the hearts to the hat and mittens. And my favorite part is that the mittens have a little finger cover than can be folded back to expose little fingers so they don't have to take off the gloves and possibly lose them to use be able to use their fingers.

No comments:

Hicks Family

Hicks Family
Mutual respect and admiration are the results of godly character and sacrificial love in marriage.