Friday, May 2, 2008

Let's trade places!

Why is it that kids hate to take naps? I do so love to nestle under my covers and just sleep an afternoon away. Sure, I feel guilty about everything I didn't get done or that blog I never got to post, but what sweet bliss! Olivia has fought a good fight today...a noble fight. She sang to herself, she had to go potty 3 times in 20 minutes...the human bladder is amazing, isn't it?! And now, only after trying diligently to stay awake for an hour has she finally fallen asleep.

My kitchen floor is now sparkling clean and my house is well on its way to being suitable for company. Well, let's not be too hasty. You know those people that have a clean and orderly house at all times. I was raised in that kind of house and contributed greatly to its clean state. Some people are just able to suck it up, get it done and keep on top of things. I am not one of those people, but I am lucky enough to have a best friend who is...and she's a willing helper, bless her massive heart of gold and total OCD. She has been here this afternoon and done her best in an hour and a half to help me get things back on track. I was a messy kid, a messy adolescent and a messy adult. The hard part is that I am married to one as well and we have produced yet another messy.

Now, let's not jump to conclusions and think I don't mind the mess or don't care about the mess. It eats away at my very core and I am completely and totally ashamed of the state of my home at most times. I don't invite people over. If people drop by, I am apologetic and I scurry about trying to pick up the dirty socks, toys, wigs and empty soda cans. I hate that I can't do better. I'm sure there is some deep, dark psychological reason for this, but who has time for all that therapy? I just have to keep on keeping on and know that those who love me will look past my clutter. : )

2 comments:

michelle neely said...

OCD has never officially been documented in a medical record (yet) ;)! All the docs seem to want me to talk myself out of this way of life. So now I talk to myself constantly telling myself how crazy I am that I keep doing these things! So far I haven't answered myself have I? No, I haven't! haha.
Love you Ronnie and I love to help out other overwhelmed mommies! And don't be too hard on yourself -you have a ton on your plate right now. Enjoy your baby - the mess aint gonna kill you if it stays for another day!

Krista Sanders said...

What a dear friend you have! Enjoyed this. Can't say I pick up "wigs" at my house. Comparing your hair to my hair, maybe I should!!

Hicks Family

Hicks Family
Mutual respect and admiration are the results of godly character and sacrificial love in marriage.